Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Tile Floor Learning Games







I am loving the tile floor in our classroom and all the cool new ways I am learning to utilize it. This past week I used it for both a sight word and math drill. I define drill as anything I want the kids to answer at a rapid pace.


For our sight word drill, I placed one flash card per tile. The flashcards are double sided. One side is written in blue the other in red. I placed the cards red side up.



When I say the word the kids run to that word and flip it to the blue side. I had to do one child at a time because my kids are so competitive. Once all the cards were flipped to blue I would say the blue word and they got to pick the card up.




For the math drill I allowed both kids to play simultaneously. SJ (5) worked independently since she can count in her head. KJ (3) and I worked together since he still uses his fingers for math.



 I placed one equation per tile square on the floor and I gave each kid a stack of cards raging 1 through 10.



I had 30 equations and 20 answer cards so we had to improvise and double up some of the tiles. This is a game we will play often I'm sure.



This game could use any equations, so it is something that is easy to utilize as a learning tool that grows with the kids.

You can also use puzzle mat pieces to play tile learning games, check them out here!

For more math game ideas click here!




No comments:

Post a Comment