Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Coding for Kids





One of the many benifits of homeschooling is the ability to teach your kids random, awesome things like...CODING!!. I stumbled upon this awesome website that teaches children code. 

My kids LOVE it. The teaching is broken into age groups the first group is geared towards kids who are ages 3 to 5. The first few lessons are simple things like teaching children to reach an objective. 



The first activity was about 4 squares. The objective was to move the character to the left one square. Once they saw an example the grid got bigger and I even threw in a few obstacles. You can see in the picture above that it took SJ and KJ the same amount of moves to reach their goal. Which was a lesson on taking different paths to reach the same objective. 

After the kids got the hang of it on the white board we decided to act it out. 

I printed out pictures of SJ and KJ's favorite characters. I then had one child go into the living room while we placed the character face down along with some blank white pages.  



The child who placed the character had to direct the child who had just come back from the other room to their character using the sign below. They could rotate the sign to reach their objective but could not point to the picture. 


My kids are 5 and 3 and they really enjoyed this game. The next day when they got to start writing code on the computer they were able to follow along easily. We really enjoyed using www.coding.org and I believe my days will be filled with my children exploring new ways to make things happen. 


1 comment:

  1. I would LOVE to learn more about teaching (and learning for that matter!!!) coding! This is so awesome. Coding is a skill that will be imperative for future success in Math, Science, Technology, and Engineering. Way to go, Mama!

    ReplyDelete